The question “How much does an animated explainer video cost?” is quite vague, as there are many nuances determining the final cost. It is like you’re planning a feast for a special occasion, and you want a chef to prepare it, but simply asking, “How much would cooking cost?” won’t get you the precise answer. You’d need to specify the cuisine, the number of courses, and whether the chef will bring ingredients and personnel to wash dishes, etc.
So if you simply ask, “How much for an explainer video?” there is a high chance that you are going to get bombarded with questions like:
- What type of animation video do you want?
- What should be the length?
- Will you give us the script, or do we have to take care of it as well?
- What about the audio narration of the script (the voiceover)?
- Which music do you want in your video? Free or paid?
- Would you be asking for revisions or accepting whatever the final product would be?
- When do you want it?
- What is your budget (yes, that is asked)?
If you want to get the gist of the article without reading it, here are some quick doses for you.
- An explainer video can cost you somewhere between $50 or $500 and a quarter of a million, depending on who you get it made from and where they are located. The higher the quality, the higher the cost.
- The more established the freelancer, studio, or agency, the higher the price bracket.
- Explainer video price correlates with things like the length of the video if the script is given, paid music, quality of the video, level of complexity, number of revisions, etc.
So, without further ado, let’s delve into the factors determining the final cost of an explainer video:
- Type of Animation: Different animation styles demand different skills, longer hours, and different kinds of resources, due to which cost varies from type to type, so whether you want 2D animation, 3D animation, motion graphics, or whiteboard animation, each of them comes with its intricacies and costs.
- Video Length: In the culinary world, a simple dish takes less time to prepare than a multi-course feast. Similarly, the duration of your video impacts the cost. The shorter the video, the lower the cost.
- Inclusion of Script, Voiceover, and More: Think of the script, voiceover, and sound design as the special ingredients that enhance the flavor of your dish. These elements not only enhance the depth and appeal of your video but also add to the overall cost.
- Who You Are Getting It Made From: Who you are getting it from significantly impacts the cost. There are different options at your disposal; you can choose between a freelancer or a professional company for your video. Freelancers give personalized attention and competitive rates, while companies have a team of experts and a more structured approach to their work.
On this Article
Factors That Impact The Cost Of Explainer Video Services
Now, let’s dissect what exactly goes into determining the cost of explainer video services. Think of it as understanding the ingredients that make up your favorite dish; each of them contributes to the final flavor. Similarly, every factor in an explainer video influences its cost and quality.
Let’s start with the length of the video.
Longevity of the Video
Longer videos require more content, scripting, and animation, demanding both effort and cost, and it becomes difficult with every second passing to keep the video captivating. Short videos are like quick bites and are also budget-friendly.
Think of animation style as the cooking technique. 2D animation is like sautéing—fast and straightforward. 3D animation is equivalent to slow cooking, which demands time and precision. Each style has its own unique charm and complexity, influencing the cost accordingly.
Complexity of the Script
A script is akin to a recipe. Crafting a complex storyline with intricate details is similar to preparing a gourmet dish. It demands thorough planning and expertise to infuse depth into your video, inevitably increasing production time and cost. By composing your own script, the outcome can even rival high-end productions.
Think of voiceover quality as the presentation of your dish. A professional voiceover makes the video more captivating and hooks the audience throughout. Like a well-served plate, it adds finesse to your video, but at an additional cost, obviously.
Design and Animation Complexity
The design and animation are equivalent to the flavors and textures in a dish. Intricate designs and smooth animations make your video visually more appealing and hooking. However, extensive artwork and seamless motion require more time and effort, impacting the overall cost.
Background music, sound effects, and audio quality hook the viewers better. Just like the perfect seasoning elevates a dish, sound design lifts your video, but it’s an additional element to consider in the budget (usually, you have lower music and higher voiceover sound).
Considering the fact that everyone has different tastes, what is initially produced is not necessarily to be liked by you, so how many revisions are in the package also influences the cost.
Additional Services (Research, Storyboard)
Think of additional services as the special ingredients. Research and storyboarding ensure your video has a solid foundation and directly impacts the captivity of our video. Research provides valuable insights, and storyboarding serves as the recipe guideline. Including these services adds depth to your video but also makes it more expensive.
Different Explainer Video Sources
Now that you know what goes into making an explainer video and what determines its cost, let’s run through the sources from which we can get it made. Think of this as walking through a big and bustling market, with each vendor offering something unique. Let’s see what different sources can bring to the table and at what rates.
Online Video and Animation Creators ($50 – $500)
- Pros and Cons: Quite affordable and convenient to get it made from them. With a wide array of templates, they give you a quick solution for simple projects. However, customization options are limited, more like what Facebook does on your friendship anniversary, with two images floating and some text animating. So you will get matching colors to your brand and customized fonts, but nothing more unless you find someone incognizant.
- Suitable Duration and Quality: Ideal if you want short, straightforward videos. Quality varies, might be inferior or superior, and differs from creator to creator, but it’s a budget-friendly option for basic animations.
- Rates Differ Based on Experience: Freelancers give a personalized touch to your video. Rates vary from freelancer to freelancer based on expertise, experience, and location. You get more customization, but the quality can be inconsistent.
- Quality and Reliability Considerations: While freelancers offer creativity, reliability can sometimes be a concern. Research and reviews are crucial to finding a reliable freelancer who aligns with your vision.
Want to hire a freelancer? Here are a few famous platforms people hire freelancers from:
Explainer Video Production Company ($2000 – $10,000+)
- Services Included in the Price: Production companies offer comprehensive services, including scriptwriting, storyboarding, animation, and sound design. They ensure a professional, tailored approach.
- Tailored Approach vs. Templates: Unlike online platforms, production companies craft unique videos tailored to your brand. This customized approach ensures your video stands out but comes at a higher cost.
Full-Service Marketing Agency ($15,000 – $100,000+)
- Comprehensive Marketing Strategies: Agencies not only create videos but also align them with your marketing goals. They offer a complete package, integrating your video into a larger marketing strategy.
- High-End Production Quality: Agencies provide top-tier quality, from scriptwriting to post-production. Your video receives meticulous attention and creative expertise.
- Online Creators: Quick and budget-friendly, suitable for basic animations but lacking customization.
- Freelancers: Personalized and diverse, but quality and reliability can vary. Research is key.
- Production Companies: Tailored and professional, offering a wide range of services at a moderate to high cost.
- Full-Service Agencies: Comprehensive and high-end, integrating your video into a larger marketing strategy, but comes at a substantial investment.
Explainer Video Cost Breakdown
Imagine this as dissecting your favorite dessert to understand every layer. We’re going to break down the costs of different video lengths and sources, giving you a clear view of what you’re investing in.
30-Second Explainer Video
- Online Video and Animation Creators
- Cost: $50-$150, or maybe a little more
- What’s Included (usually): Basic animation, limited customization, generic templates
- Suitable For: Quick social media explainer videos for ads, simple product highlights, etc.
- Cost: $150 – $500
- What’s Included (usually): More customization than the above provider; personalized animations; quite close to professional quality.
- Suitable For: Small businesses or startups looking for their own unique branding.
- Production Company
- Cost: $800 – $2500
- What’s Included (usually): Custom animations, professional scriptwriting, sound design, etc.
- Suitable For: Established businesses looking for detailed product explanations.
- Full-Service Agency
- Cost: $2500-$8,000+
- What’s Included: Comprehensive services, high-end animations, and an integrated marketing strategy (they also market it for you so you get better ROI).
- Suitable For: Corporate brands and large-scale marketing campaigns.
60-Second Explainer Video
- Online Video and Animation Creators
- Cost: $100 – $300
- What’s Included: More complex animations, better templates, and limited customization.
- Suitable For: Product demos, service explanations.
- Cost: $300 – $1000
- What’s Included: Detailed animations, creative storytelling, and professional voiceovers.
- Suitable For: Medium-sized businesses; in-depth brand storytelling.
- Production Company
- Cost: $1500-$500
- What’s Included: High-quality animations, engaging scripts, and advanced sound effects.
- For: Companies aiming for brand awareness and detailed product walkthroughs.
- Full-Service Agency
- Cost: $5000–$15,000
- What’s Included: Premium animations, top-tier voiceovers, and multi-platform marketing integration.
- Suitable For: Large enterprises, major marketing campaigns, and brand repositioning.
90-Second Explainer Video
- Online Video and Animation Creators
- Cost: $150 – $400
- What’s Included: Extended animations, improved templates, limited customization.
- Suitable For: Complex product explanations and educational content.
- Cost: $400 – $1200
- What’s Included: In-depth animations, detailed scripts, and professional-grade production.
- Suitable For: Educational institutions, in-depth service showcases.
- Production Company
- Cost: $2000 – $7000
- What’s Included: Comprehensive animations, intricate storytelling, and immersive sound experiences.
- Suitable For: In-depth corporate presentations and educational programs.
- Full-Service Agency
- Cost: $7000 – $20000
- What’s Included: Cutting-edge animations, top-notch scripts, and extensive marketing campaigns.
- Suitable For: Large educational platforms and local and international brand campaigns.
Animation Types, Styles & Pricing
Understanding the various animation styles is akin to choosing the right palette for your masterpiece. Each style carries a unique essence, and knowing their costs helps you align your vision with your budget.
- Basic 2D Animation Cost: Simple, hand-drawn animations come at a budget-friendly price. You can expect to pay between $500 and $1500 for a 1-minute video.
- Advanced 2D Animation Cost: For intricate details and smooth transitions, the cost ranges between $1500 and $5000 per minute. This style offers a balance between complexity and affordability.
- Basic 3D Animation Cost: Basic 3D animations, suitable for product showcases, start at around $1000 per minute. However, prices can go up based on the level of detail required.
- High-Quality 3D Animation Cost: High-end 3D animations, ideal for cinematic experiences, can cost between $5000 and $20000 per minute. These animations boast intricate details and lifelike movements.
- Standard Motion Graphics Cost: Standard motion graphics offer dynamic visuals and typically range from $1000 to $5000 per minute. This style is popular for corporate presentations and explainer videos.
- Complex Motion Graphics Cost: Intricate motion graphics with detailed animations and transitions fall between $5000 and $15000 per minute. These videos create a visually captivating narrative.
- Basic Whiteboard Animation Cost: Basic whiteboard animations, resembling illustrations on a whiteboard, start at around $500 per minute. These are straightforward and budget-friendly.
- Detailed Whiteboard Animation Cost: Detailed whiteboard animations with intricate drawings and engaging storytelling can cost between $1500 and $5000 per minute. This style combines simplicity with creativity.
Hidden Costs and the Importance of Transparency
In the world of explainer videos, what you see might not always be what you get. Just like in business, transparency is key. Let’s lift the veil on potential hidden costs and ensure you’re well-equipped to make decisions without any surprises down the road.
Importance of Transparent Pricing
Transparency is the cornerstone of any successful business transaction. When discussing your explainer video project, it’s crucial to have a clear understanding of what’s included in the quoted price. This includes animation revisions, script changes, and any additional services. A transparent provider will outline these details from the start, ensuring there are no unexpected expenses later on.
Common Hidden Fees to Beware Of
- Revision Costs: While some revisions might be included, extensive changes can incur additional fees. It’s important to clarify the revision policy with your chosen provider when negotiating.
- License Fees: If you plan to use specific music or images, there might be licensing costs associated. Make sure these fees are discussed beforehand to avoid conflicts from rising later.
- Rush Charges: Urgent projects often come with extra costs. If you have a tight deadline, be aware of potential rush charges that might be added to expedite the process.
- File Format Charges: Different platforms and uses require specific file formats. Some providers might charge extra for delivering videos in multiple formats suitable for various platforms.
- Sound and Voiceover Quality Upgrades: If you want high-quality sound effects or professional voiceovers, these upgrades could come at an additional cost. Ensure you understand the pricing structure for premium audio elements.
Questions to Ask:
- What’s Included in the Quoted Price? Request a detailed breakdown of services to ensure you’re aware of what you’re paying for.
- Are Revisions Limited? This is quite important. You may incur overages if they are not negotiated before. Some providers offer a limited number of revisions before additional charges apply.
- Is There a Timeline for Revisions? Clarify the timeframe within which revisions should be requested to avoid extra costs.
- What Happens If the Project Takes Longer Than Expected? Discuss how delays impact the cost to avoid unexpected charges due to project extensions.
- Are There Any Usage Restrictions? If you plan to use the video on various platforms, confirm if there are any restrictions and associated fees.
In the ever-evolving landscape of explainer videos, making the right choices is pivotal for your product and business. Let’s bring everything into focus and distill the essence of what you’ve learned so far—it’s not just about the cost; it’s about value, reliability, and impact.
Explainer videos are quite time-consuming and self-draining, and that is why they cost so much. You’ve delved into the depths of explainer video production, you know, understanding the animation styles, duration, hidden fees, and other things. Remember, the cost isn’t merely a number; it’s the culmination of everything you envision in your mind.
Making Informed Decisions Based on Needs and Budget
Every business has its own unique narrative to tell, and your explainer video should echo that story. Keep your brand identity, target audience, and marketing goals in mind. A clear understanding of your business needs will guide you better to the right choice.
Quality Within Budget Constraints
While budget constraints are real, compromising on quality may dilute the essence of your video. Seek the sweet spot where quality meets affordability. A slightly higher investment often translates into a video that resonates better with your targeted audience, ensuring a significant ROI in the long run.
Summary of Options and Their Suitable Use
- Online Creators: Offer quick, cost-effective solutions for basic needs. Ideal for short-term, simple content.
- Freelancers: Best if you want a personalized touch for moderate pricing. It is best for businesses looking for uniqueness and creativity without breaking the bank.
- Production Companies: Offer tailored solutions and professional quality. Perfect for established businesses aiming for a detailed, polished image.
- Full-Service Agencies: Comprehensive strategies and top-tier quality are suitable for larger enterprises with elaborate marketing campaigns.
One thing to keep in mind is that the better the video, the more business you get in return or promotion of your product. So it is not just about making a video; it is about leaving an impression on your audience and persuading them to buy the product.